Arca Admin Meetings & Resources

Arca local administrators meet frequently to discuss shared goals and needs.

See the side menu for various resources and reference documents that admins may find useful.

Meeting notes and recordings:

****Click on the meeting date in the left column for meeting notes.***

Notessort descending Links Summary

Dec 9 2015

Agenda
Recording

Topics included: infrastructure & meeting frequency; priorities for training; theming change requests; faculty metrics use cases.

Feb 22 2016

Agenda
Recording

Topics included: theming changes update; Collection Item Details View implementation; metrics/Google Analytics functionality; metadata display using Islandora Standard display; desire for simpler submission workflow.

Mar 21 2016

Agenda
Recording

Topics included: assigning DOIs; simplified ingest process for self-submission; start of Arca Hours sessions.

Apr 15 2016

Agenda
Recording

Topics included: using ORCID IDs as a best practice; proposed self-submission workflow.

May 20 2016

Agenda
Recording

Topics included: SSL and LDAP; self-submission workflow; search within collections; sort search results; uploading large collections and storage allocation; in-person opportunities.

Jul 20 2016

Agenda

In-person meeting. Topics included: roundtable updates from all sites; rights management.

Sep 23 2016

Agenda

Meeting cancelled due to illness.

Oct 21 2016

Agenda
Recording

Topics: proposed enhancement process; crowd-funding mechanism under discussion by Islandora Foundation; images and rights management; changes to the Name fields in thesis ingest form; Twitterbot; Arca story link on Admin Support site.

Jan 20 2017

Agenda
Recording

Topics: how Solr fields are created via XSLT, and possible need to modify to suit specific needs; introduced the Islandora Downloadable Image module; possibility of an Arca Camp training day; preview of UNBC's self-submission process; status of Theses Canada's harvesting program.

Mar 17 2017

Agenda
Recording

Action items: 

May 19 2017

Agenda
Recording

Compound Object walkthrough; some service updates; form of name discussion; controlled path for submission agreements. 

Jul 21 2017

Discussion of new features:

  • Statistics report page
  • OAI-PMH download link
  • Islandora Owner Permissions
  • PDF.js reader

Nov 24 2017

Recording
  • New Arca partners: Digitized Okanagan History, and the BC Historical Digitization Project
  • New Solr fields generated using the Role Term:
    • Allows you to display names of people with specific Roles
    • Reversed version (Lastname, Firstname) also available
    • Syntax:
      • bceln_name_[roleTerm]_namePart_combined_ms
      • bceln_name_[roleTerm]_namePart_combined_reversed_ms
    • Examples:
      • bceln_name_Thesis_Advisor_namePart_combined_ms
      • bceln_name_Art_Director_namePart_combined_ms
  • Annual or semi-annual basic training for all members discussed
  • Need to update the Metadata Guidelines document

Feb 15 2018

Recording

ACTION - ALL ADMINS: 

  • Review the licenses and statements at Rights Statements and Creative Commons
  • Let the Admin Centre know whether these options will suffice as standard language for your repository objects

Topics:

  • Preservation
  • Standardizing rights/usage statements
  • COAR report on next-gen repositories
  • Topics for 2018 Arca Hours
  • Metadata Guidelines discussion
  • Hosting developments
  • Analytics and usage stats

May 18 2018

Recording

Rights Statements and Creative Commons licenses; Migration update; Streaming video capability; Standardizing date formats; Discussion about ingesting and displaying research posters.

Aug 31 2018

Recording
  • Next steps for preservation partnership with COPPUL
  • Plans to standardize Genre and Role terms, continued work to standardize Dates
  • Discussion of updates to ingest forms
  • Plans to implement Serial Object solution pack
  • New sites: Athabasca University, Brandon Univeristy, Red Deer College
  • Possible in-person "Arca Camp" in November

Jan 11 2019

  • Consensus on selection of AAT and MARC Genre Terms as controlled vocabularies for Genre
  • Author-supplied keywords to remain separate from Subject elements. Further investigation is needed to choose a more appropriate element.

Action items:

  • Sites using local terms with no suitable synonyms in AAT or MARCGT to send a listt of those terms to Brandon.

  • UNBC to investigate alternative elements for author keywords.