Arca Admin Meetings & Resources

Arca local administrators meet frequently to discuss shared goals and needs.

See the side menu for various resources and reference documents that admins may find useful.

Meeting notes and recordings:

****Click on the meeting date in the left column for meeting notes.***

Notessort ascending Links Summary

Mar 28 2023


Migration Q&A and updates on next steps.

Recording passcode: Qt%LcW

Jul 19 2022

Migration to Islandora 2, plus a bit of discussion about RDM.

Feb 11 2021

  • New structure proposed for Islandora 8
  • Metadata issues - Genre terms need correcting (see
  • BC ELN scholarly publishing: free pilot starting in March

Sep 24 2020

Explanations and way forward for recent downtime; ongoing Solr work; dealing with bots; delaying theming and accessibility work for Islandora 8; information on our inevitable Islandora 8 migration.

Mar 6 2020


Updates on new initiatives: Arca Sandbox, TK Labels, Solr field revamp, and upcoming theme refresh. Planned formation of a theming subgroup to determine requirements for the new theme.

Oct 4 2019

  • Islandora Westvault ready for users; contact Brandon if you want to get started with a WestVault account.
  • BC ELN has reached a deal with EBSCO on indexing IRs in EDS; contact Brandon and your EBSCO rep to start indexing your site.
  • Enabling engagement with This is an external annotation tool that enables discussion and engagement with your repository objects, without actually modifying your site. A module is available if you wish to use it.
  • Traditional Knowledge Labels: like Rights Statements for Indigenous content.
    • ACTION (all): Look at your objects and determine whether TK Labels would be useful to you.
  • Islandora Slack: New venue for discussion/chat/support re all things Islandora. To join:
  • LDAP Module: Useful for SSO, creating faculty and student accounts. If working with your IT group to set this up, contact Brandon to document for other members.
  • Citaiton Style problems: Issues found with formatting. Resolved (mostly) by updating the Citeproc library.

May 16 2019


  • Harvesting/indexing in discovery layers and Theses Canada
  • Recent developments: Islandora Remote Media, Arca Minutes
  • Possible updates to the Arca theme
  • Islandora conference
  • Updates to metadata standards and controlled vocabularies
  • Potential new types of content to support in Arca
  • Interest in a potential OJS/scholarly communication collaborative service

Action items - Arca Admins:

  • Send Brandon examples of Islandora sites with theme elements you would like to see in Arca
  • Send Brandon PIDs from repository objects you would like showcased on the Arca homepage
  • Let Brandon know if you are interested in helping to coordinate Islandora Conference social activities
  • Discuss need for additional content model support on mailing list

Action items - Arca Office:

  • Investigate best practices for author keywords in extension elements

Jan 11 2019

  • Consensus on selection of AAT and MARC Genre Terms as controlled vocabularies for Genre
  • Author-supplied keywords to remain separate from Subject elements. Further investigation is needed to choose a more appropriate element.

Action items:

  • Sites using local terms with no suitable synonyms in AAT or MARCGT to send a listt of those terms to Brandon.

  • UNBC to investigate alternative elements for author keywords.

Aug 31 2018

  • Next steps for preservation partnership with COPPUL
  • Plans to standardize Genre and Role terms, continued work to standardize Dates
  • Discussion of updates to ingest forms
  • Plans to implement Serial Object solution pack
  • New sites: Athabasca University, Brandon Univeristy, Red Deer College
  • Possible in-person "Arca Camp" in November

May 18 2018


Rights Statements and Creative Commons licenses; Migration update; Streaming video capability; Standardizing date formats; Discussion about ingesting and displaying research posters.

Feb 15 2018



  • Review the licenses and statements at Rights Statements and Creative Commons
  • Let the Admin Centre know whether these options will suffice as standard language for your repository objects


  • Preservation
  • Standardizing rights/usage statements
  • COAR report on next-gen repositories
  • Topics for 2018 Arca Hours
  • Metadata Guidelines discussion
  • Hosting developments
  • Analytics and usage stats

Nov 24 2017

  • New Arca partners: Digitized Okanagan History, and the BC Historical Digitization Project
  • New Solr fields generated using the Role Term:
    • Allows you to display names of people with specific Roles
    • Reversed version (Lastname, Firstname) also available
    • Syntax:
      • bceln_name_[roleTerm]_namePart_combined_ms
      • bceln_name_[roleTerm]_namePart_combined_reversed_ms
    • Examples:
      • bceln_name_Thesis_Advisor_namePart_combined_ms
      • bceln_name_Art_Director_namePart_combined_ms
  • Annual or semi-annual basic training for all members discussed
  • Need to update the Metadata Guidelines document

Jul 21 2017

Discussion of new features:

  • Statistics report page
  • OAI-PMH download link
  • Islandora Owner Permissions
  • PDF.js reader

May 19 2017


Compound Object walkthrough; some service updates; form of name discussion; controlled path for submission agreements. 

Mar 17 2017


Action items: 

Jan 20 2017


Topics: how Solr fields are created via XSLT, and possible need to modify to suit specific needs; introduced the Islandora Downloadable Image module; possibility of an Arca Camp training day; preview of UNBC's self-submission process; status of Theses Canada's harvesting program.

Oct 21 2016


Topics: proposed enhancement process; crowd-funding mechanism under discussion by Islandora Foundation; images and rights management; changes to the Name fields in thesis ingest form; Twitterbot; Arca story link on Admin Support site.

Sep 23 2016


Meeting cancelled due to illness.

Jul 20 2016


In-person meeting. Topics included: roundtable updates from all sites; rights management.

May 20 2016


Topics included: SSL and LDAP; self-submission workflow; search within collections; sort search results; uploading large collections and storage allocation; in-person opportunities.

Apr 15 2016


Topics included: using ORCID IDs as a best practice; proposed self-submission workflow.

Mar 21 2016


Topics included: assigning DOIs; simplified ingest process for self-submission; start of Arca Hours sessions.

Feb 22 2016


Topics included: theming changes update; Collection Item Details View implementation; metrics/Google Analytics functionality; metadata display using Islandora Standard display; desire for simpler submission workflow.

Dec 9 2015


Topics included: infrastructure & meeting frequency; priorities for training; theming change requests; faculty metrics use cases.